This is a HOT topic, folks!
Whether you have children or not, July and August are what we call the holiday season here in the UK, it’s the time when most of us take a break from work and enjoy time holidaying, may that be a staycation or flying off somewhere. Those that are still employed have the luxury of booking the time off and doing a quick handover to a colleague.
But those of us that run your own business knows there is so much more that goes on behind the scenes:
- Planning when to take the time off
- Budgeting for that time off, as we know being self-employed we need to into account for the loss of earnings as well as the cost of the holiday
- Informing client’s, you are taking time off and making sure their work is covered
- Making sure your social media is covered for when you are away
- Out of office set up
And that is before you pack to go on your holiday!
The entire process can be quite daunting. If you have children then you’ll know that the school summer holidays are looming too, but let’s face it you still have to work, I know I certainly can’t take off 6 weeks, so I work around my little cherubs, but also be mindful of quality family time and making memories with them, as that is one of the soul reasons I started my business, was to be with my young family whilst they are growing up.
The trivial things that help!
With this process, you can adapt it to suit the school holidays or your 2-week holiday. It really is a case of getting into a habit that will make your life a little easier each day, they are not massive changes to your daily schedule, but even still workable and manageable.
- You don’t have to tell your crowd you are away, but make sure you give your clients plenty of notice that you going to be away from and when
- Schedule in your social media, the insightful Beckie Coupe of Infinity Digital has this great blog post to get your social media holiday ready. There are some helpful tips on there to get that part of your business covered.
- If you are going away are you planning on checking in? if not then you need to be making sure you set your Out of Office responder on your email system.
- Outsource! If you do not want to leave your business unattended whilst you are away, then start now looking for a Virtual Assistant who can cover whilst you are on holiday, you can give them a variety of tasks, or you can hand everything over, it depends on what you require, you may just want them to respond to your crowd on social media, or you may find your emails are the thing that you need covering. But start looking now for a VA.
- If you are not going away but have children and their school holiday to contend with then check out my top tips in this BLOG on how to survive the school holidays 😊
You may not be going away until August, but if you start planning now and getting those things in place now, then it will be one less stress when you come to logging off.If you are struggling to stay on top of things, why not have a chat with me, I am happy to discuss outsourcing and how I can help you gain back sometime during your week. And check out my latest freebie HERE
Hope to chat with you soon